[OMC-Boats] spark

From: jd <jdood@...>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 17:02:45 -0700

took my boat to the ramp today to try a little test start up after
storing all season. nothing. cranks over, is getting strong
flow of gas to carb. as best as I can tell there is no spark. i
have this little light bulb thing I bought that goes between the spark
plug and plug wire - i guess it's supposed to flash as your cranking
the engine. tried it on a couple plugs, nothing. checked to
see if i have power to the coil - yes. at least at the pos
terminal. but this is where my knowledge of engines get fuzzy.
if I clip one end of a 12v light tester to the ground bolt on the
block, then stick the pointy end down into the big middle terminal on
the top of the coil, shouldn't I see that light flashing or lit
while cranking the engine? It doesn't light at all.

So unless I am not understanding something, it appears that i have
power to the coil when the key is on, but then nothing being sent out
that fat wire in the top of the coil that goes to the distributor.
Am I testing it wrong? (It's a brand new NAPA coil)

jeff