Re: [OMC-Boats] spark

From: jd <jdood@...>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 09:57:24 -0700

yeah you might be on to something here. here's the situation with
the coils. ran it last year with a Napa coil (can't remember exact
# but i think 907). Thinking it might be bad, took that coil into
Napa for replacement. They could find the coil i had in their
system. So then we did the wild goose chase of me telling them to
check a " '70 or '71 Buick Skylark, or maybe a Kaiser Jeep V6 Odd
Fire Buick 225 CID 155". (I still am not clear on what to ask
for but I think that's close). Also said it was from an OMC boat,
etc. He came back with an almost identical looking coil, maybe #912
or something. Said it was the one referenced everywhere and also
said it was the common one by several other boats (bayliner, etc).

So slight chance I might have wrong coill. But I checked things,
tried to start, etc with my PREVEIOUS coil in there and still got
nothing. But as you say, maybe that one was wrong too, but got me
by last summer until it developed just enough corrosion inside to
die. Especially after sitting all winter (?)

1) I don't wanna screw with this, and rely on some Napa guy thumbing
through books and ending up with something that "should be right".
Can you tell me exactly where to go and what exact coil I should be
getting (ie whatever you and everyone else have in your boat)? I'll
just go buy one. No more trial and error.

2) I have a functioning ballast resistor. I don't use any voltage
meter, just my lighted screwdriver thing. The BR is getting power
via a red wire to it. This is a photo i took before i went shopping
for a new coil a few days ago (and so i would be able to get the wires
back as they were). I hooked up the new coil this exact same way.
See anything out of whack?: