Re: [OMC-Boats] Tips on bringing Sport Fisherman back to life

From: lks@...
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 19:42:40 -0600

Hi Tom,

Welcome Aboard!

You're asking all the right questions:

1) Trailer: I'd go with a bunk design. You could probably find a single-axle
that will handle the load, but a tandem would probably be better.
You 19-footer has the weight advantage of the little GM Chevy-II four
cylinder, but the tandem will tow & track better. A modern trailer will
allow the boat to sit lower than the original design. You'll have no
problems towing with your pick-up. A folding tongue on the trailer might
allow you to garage it, but height and length will be very tight.

2) Start with a plan and stick with it. Break the project into small
subsystems; I'd start with a complete overhaul and upgrade of the fuel
system, as it most likely is varnished.
The electrical systems are well designed and documented, but age and
oxidation take their toll. Go thru everything for reliability including
relays, switches, connectors, fuses, cables, bilge pump/blower, instruments,
etc.

3) The machinery is pretty simple and fool-proof but you want to have access
to manuals and parts lists. It would be best to find a shop that has worked
on the ELECTRIC SHIFT OMC stringers. Don't substitute auto-rated parts for
MARINE engine parts. For proper shifting and reliability it is critical to
get the engine tuned and idling at specified RPM (around 500 - 600 RPM).

4) Personally, I'd do the cosmetics, deck, hull, interior last. You know,
reward yourself and her for all the basic seaworthiness stuff.

What's cool about your Sport Fisherman --- It is one of the most ECONOMICAL
running boats E/J/OMC ever built, very EZ-going on fuel. And it's roomy and
a very stable platform. Nothing fancy, but a solid, well built boat for the
ages, to be sure.

You didn't mention your location? Has the boat ever been exposed to salt
water? If it's a fresh-water only boat you job will be a lot easier!

See my website for ideas:
http://hhscott.com/evinrude/

Lee Shuster