[OMC-Boats] Transom Repair/Replacement

From: Ian Torrey (QNX) <itorrey@...>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 12:54:47 -0400

Well, after many years of waiting in cue in the to-do list, I finally
got some time the last few weeks to breathe some life into my Sweet
16! Apparently it was running when it came out of the water 8 or 9
years ago - it' been sitting in my yard for 3... But a few days of
working through ignition issues, and it's alive!

I haven't had it in the water yet for a real test run... I'm a bit
concerned about integrity of the transom, so thought I might spend a
bit of time reinforcing it a bit. I am planning on bolting a piece of
1/2" plywood to the outer rear transom, and probably some pressure
treated lumber on the inner transom, just to spread out the torque of
the heavy 66 Johnson Golden Meteor 100, but I recall a posting once
with detailed transom replacement and photos. Does anyone recall
this? I'd like to figure out the best reinforcement points for this,
until I decide whether or not to go the full floor and transom
restore as a winter project.

Also, I asked our local marina where I can find marine grade plywood
in our area (Eastern Ontario). The mechanic says he occasionally buys
it from his supplier, but to expect to pay $300 CDN a sheet! What
sort of experience have others here had replacing their floors? Did
you use marine grade? Did it cost this much? Maybe materials like
this are cheaper closer to the coast than I am. Currently I'm
wondering about foundation-grade plywood, which might be a little
more reasonably priced - my house has a 20 year old wood foundation,
and the below-grade areas seem to be weathering quite well.

Any thoughts or input appreciated....
Ian