Re: [OMC-Boats] Transom Repair/Replacement

From: tpaquette@...
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:22:27 -0400

Hi Ian,

I can send you info tonite. I was swamped last night.

disaaembly is as basic as it appears.

You will need:

Large Phillips Screwdriver.

Vice Grips

Sawsall type tool with fiberglass blade or similar

Drill with a Looooooong bit. 8" or so. bewteen 1/4 an 1/2 inch.... whatever you have around.

eye, hand and body coverage. i alos recommend a paper style breathing mask - All for the dust you will make.....

Unbolt and remove ALL the rub rail. Srewdriver and vice grips

carefully use sawsall to cut the rear seating section from the hull. You will see seam once you remove rub rail. take your time. the glass gets hots and you dont want it to "melt"...

At the transom, I just dug out the pulp that use to be the transom. It is a 1/2 and 3/4 inch ply laminated togehter.

At the corners where the transom meets the seating section use the drill to "carve" out the wood.

Once you have completed the cutting... Again take your time !!! the seating section lifts out. It is glued to center florr area with expoy but it lifts righ out as that conact is well past itis prime... just lift slowly and steadily.

If I didnt mention it. I removed the stearing console. cables etc and bench seat and all prior to this operation. Basically I gutted it and labeled and photo's everything so I know how it goes together.

I'm not sure where you are in the process but hope this gets you started. i have plans for the refit as well.

Tom