Re: [omc-boats] Re: 71 Johnson Surfer in the shop

From: Ethan Brodsky <brodskye@...>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 12:29:34 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 LeeHazen@... wrote:
> Does anyone have a flush adapter that fits on the side of the tilt swivel
> that allows the engine to be run out of the water ? I need to buy one or
> make one.

Bill Carroll (bill carroll <billfus@...>) was selling one on ebay
over the winter - I don't know whether he ended up selling it or not, but
he's been a great source for NOS and used OMC parts for me, so he can
probably scrounge one up. Try giving him an email.

What I ended up doing was installing a "radiator hose flush T adaptor" into
one of the intake water hoses running from the intermediate housing to the
exhaust header. When I want to run the engine out of the water, I hook a
garden hose up to it. As far as I can tell, it's the same as injecting the
water at the tilt cap, since it's between outdrive water pump and the
exhaust headers. When I run it, I see water coming out of the telltale (I seem to only have
one), the exhaust port, the water pickup, and the water pump drain holes,
so I think it's pumping adequate water to run the engine.

When I first installed it, I pulled the hoses running from each exhaust
header to the thermostat, to verify that both headers were getting water
(in case they used a check-valve or something in the intermediate housing)
- they were. I haven't seized anything yet and I probably have 20-30
minutes (at idle to ~1500 rpm) runtime this way. I believe the manual
cautions against putting the drive in gear out of the water (might burn up
the forward/reverse actuators), so I just run it in neutral (though I
recently learned this, so I've probably run it for ~5 minutes in gear
already).

Radiator flush kits can be had at any auto parts store for about $3. They
usually come with a plastic T adaptor, two hose clamps, a cap for the T,
and a female to female hose gender bender with a cheap rubber check-valve.
It took about 5 minutes to install and 10 minutes to test the first time.
I just leave the T adaptor in all the time, so now it only takes a minute
or two to hook it up and run it.

Ethan

--
<A HREF="http://www.pobox.com/~ebrodsky/"> Ethan Brodsky </A>
UW FutureCar Team Paradigm: Two-Year FutureCar Challenge Winner