Re: [omc-boats] Good OMC Buick V6 / Johnson "Surfer" for sale

From: lib1@...
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 11:47:01 -0700

Hi,

Just to clear up some info on OMC stern drives. Re:

> Your outdrive unit is not rated for that extra HP. You'll probably need
> the
> out drive that is used on the Johnson "Surfer" with the 210 hp V-8 engine.

Actually, you are partially correct in pointing out one significant
difference between the V6 and V8 electric stringer drives:
the upper gear ratios. Otherwise the drives are completely interchangeable,
and that comes straight from the 35-year OMC veteran and consulting the
1970 - 1971 OMC part manuals. I've crunched the numbers and I'm planning to
keep the gear ratios from the V6 and then add a larger pitch prop to help
compensate for the V8's increased torque, most likely in the 18 - 20-inch
range. The V8 conversion will add 85 - 90 pounds and requires about an 1.5
increase in length. It will just about snuggle into the existing doghouse.
If my switch in prop pitch doesn't work as planned (for example the motor is
over-revving at WOT), I can still swap the upper gear ratios to match the
21:16 used in the V8's. Most likely, I'd swap the upper unit only.

Some of the confusion stems from the fact that all 90 hp V4's and some of
the early 100 - 110 -120 hp 153 cu in Chevy fours used a less stout lower
unit than the V6/V8 unit, first introduced on the '62 75-hp Starflite
outboard. Also, later on the 400/800-series stringers were rated
differently, 400's for fours and 800's for V6/V8's.

If you were physically closer -- I'd love to pick up your Johnson. Any idea
what pitch your SST prop is? I'm looking for a 19-inch SST.

Good luck on replacing your floor in Serenity Now, sounds like a fun
project.

Lee Shuster