[OMC-Boats] Carb and fuel gauge

From: Justin DeSantis <duc1098desmo@...>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 11:28:51 -0400

So I got my carb rebuilt and adjusted. Boat seems to run very well.
Nice smooth idle. Good throttle response. Fast start up. I put the
boat in yesterday near Pittsburgh, then hit the 3 Rivers area.
Anchored to watch the fireworks after the Pitt game, then headed down
to Station Square for dinner. So my carb seems good. Thanks to you
guys for all the advice. At about 11pm, we decided to head back to
the launch to head for home.

We're moving along pretty good. Just on a nice plane, everything nice
and smooth. I noticed the motor coughing a bit, then, nothing. We just
coasted to a stop and it wouldn't restart. My guess is, I ran out of
gas even though the gauge reads just under half tank. I had just
remarked to the wife how well we were doing on fuel, the gauge started
at 3/4 tank and after all the boating we did, I still had almost half
a tank left. I should have known that the gauge was lying to me right
then. I guess I was being optimistic. So there we sit, dead in the
water, in the middle of not heavily traveled section of the river, at
11:30pm. Luckily a very nice couple in a cruiser was heading back to
their marina and stopped to ask if we needed help. They were nice
enough to give us a tow back to the launch. And refused all our offers
to pay them for their time and gas. After a long slow tow, we got back
to the dock and got the boat loaded up at 1:30am and made it home
around 3.

I'm going out now to dump some gas in the boat and I suspect it will
fire right up, which will confirm the problem is the gauge. What is
the most likely culprit of the gauge reading wrong? The gauge itself
or the sending unit?

Justin