Re: [OMC-Boats] Carb and fuel gauge

From: ANDY PERAKES <aperakes@...>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 14:30:30 -0400 (EDT)

I have always shut off the fuel (valve on the fuel line in the engine compartment) and let it run out as I dump oil down the carb as is called out in the winterization section of my OMC owner's manual.  Yes, it would be better if the carb had a drain plug, but I've never disassembled it to go after the small amount remaining.  Justin is absolutely right though -- full tank, empty carb is generally the best for any carbureted engine.

Lee:  I'm skeptical of any product that claims "PRI-G goes a step further, actually restoring old fuel to refinery-fresh conditions."  I'll have to check with some of my triboligist friends, but I didn't think that was possible.  For one thing, once the moisture content increases, adding a stabilizer doesn't eliminate it, it just dilutes it.  I know with engine oil the additives breakdown, reducing protection for the engine.  Returning some of the additives helps (i.e. STP oil treatment), but its generally not as good as fresh oil based on the data I've seen.  I'll see what I can learn from those who supposedly know (i.e. the referenced SAE Fuels & Lubricants Standards Committee which I occasionally sit in on).

Andy

'67 Reveler 155