Re: [OMC-Boats] Cylinder #1

From: Andy Perakes <aperakes@...>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 22:09:20 -0400

Is there any scoring on any of the cylinder walls (the look clean in the
pictures, but...)? Anything that would nick a piston would almost certainly
leave some kind of witness marks on the cylinder walls too. If it causes a
"ground out" between the piston and the valve body, it will make a big
noise, no matter how small. I'd be surprised if that alone would cause a
stall without generating obvious damage though -- maybe if it jammed up the
valve train, I suppose. Likewise, I doubt anything in the oil pan would
cause a stall without generating an obvious gut-wrenching noise and
similarly obvious damage.

Is it a regular noise that tracks with rpm or an intermittent noise?
Something that tracks rpm orders would clearly be hard-coupled to motion
whereas something rolling around in the pan would likely be random. If a
connecting rod smacked something in the pan, it could leave "ping" marks in
the oil pan that might be visible. If that's the case, I'd be worried about
one or more bent rods, but they would likely vibrate like mad before
eventually self-destructing. If it weren't for the stall, it could be skirt
or rod slap -- are you sure the stall is related to the noise and not just a
coincidence? I think its safe to say you have all of our curiosity stirred
and we'll be anxious to hear what it is!

Andy
'67 Reveler