Re: [OMC-Boats] Cylinder #1

From: jd <jdood@...>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 23:31:50 -0700

On Sep 9, 2009, at 7:09 PM, Andy Perakes wrote:

> Is there any scoring on any of the cylinder walls (the look clean in
> the pictures, but...)? Anything that would nick a piston would
> almost certainly leave some kind of witness marks on the cylinder
> walls too.

nope, looked for that. they all looked nice and smooth and polished.

> If it causes a "ground out" between the piston and the valve body,
> it will make a big noise, no matter how small. I'd be surprised if
> that alone would cause a stall without generating obvious damage
> though -- maybe if it jammed up the valve train, I suppose.
> Likewise, I doubt anything in the oil pan would cause a stall
> without generating an obvious gut-wrenching noise and similarly
> obvious damage.

without being an expert here, that's exactly my thinking too. in
another post i mentioned the two little metal chunks i came across
while cleaning. but they WERE'N't in the cylinders. So they
would've have to go in, wreak havoc, and exit back out. But
something was definitely in #1 and #6.

> Is it a regular noise that tracks with rpm or an intermittent noise?

Been 5 days now, but it was an intermittent spray can sort of
rattle. But kinda started each time with a regular vibration as I
recall. In fact once I though it might be the steering cables and
grabbed them to see if it would stop. didn't.

Throttle seemed to have an effect. High throttle (in N using red
lever) it seemed to go away more often than not. Mid throttle,
noticeable noise started and sometimes stalled. Idle, stall out.
Always started right back up though. And this was only a few seconds
of testing at a time. When things got too noisy i'd shut off engine.

> Something that tracks rpm orders would clearly be hard-coupled to
> motion whereas something rolling around in the pan would likely be
> random. If a connecting rod smacked something in the pan, it could
> leave "ping" marks in the oil pan that might be visible. If that's
> the case, I'd be worried about one or more bent rods, but they would
> likely vibrate like mad before eventually self-destructing. If it
> weren't for the stall, it could be skirt or rod slap -- are you sure
> the stall is related to the noise and not just a coincidence?

no, not sure now after getting things back together. Now to add to
the confusion, my carb flapper is just not working right. The
little screw that dropped down in there, if you remember, came off
the carb flapper thingy. So it works without the screw, but it jams
up so easily when i fiddle with it with my fingers. plus the spring
inside isn't bringing it back to closing fully even when it moves
freely w/o jamming. those little rods that run on the outside and
work the flapper and other levers i don't understand seem to be total
crap. they're all bent - by some previous owner or mechanic as an
adjustment. And the "tang" thing that the manual says to bend to
adjust isn't meshing with the little arm that it seems it's suppose to
move up and down. I don't understand carbs, so i can't intuitively
figure out what "normal" operating is supposed to be for all those
moving levers and parts. Combine that with jamming and i can't feel
too confident bolting it back on and testing. Too many
variable. So yeah, the carb flapper, esp after losing that screw,
could've somehow been jamming up coincidentally while the noise what
happening.

It's 11 pm and i'm checking into biting the bullet and having a new
(rebuilt) carb fedex'd to me. The current one is falling apart in my
hands! Very frustrating to spend two hours putting everything back
together in hopes of testing for noise only to hit a carb roadblock.

oh yeah, and while gently tightening the nut back on the negative
post of the coil, it broke off. So hoping NAPA has a new coil in
stock tomorrow. Sigh.

oh well, learned a lot tonight, had fun doing it, feel more
confident to tear it apart again if needed later. Next on
confidence building list....pulling the engine!