[OMC-Boats] Review of new TC Electronics Replacement Switch

From: Lee Shuster <Lee.Shuster@...>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 16:47:37 -0600

My local OMC dealer, HANSEN MARINE in Salt lake City, invited me over at lunch to take a look at the new TC Electronics (of Ontario, Canada) SINGLE-LEVER REMOTE CONTROL replacement switch, which they got in today to evaluate.

This is one impressively re-engineered and built marine electrical component. Our first observation is that this is one ruggedly designed and smooth acting unit. One that can be easily rebuilt with off-the shelf micro switches, (but that need will not likely happen in our lifetime).

The unit thoughtfully comes with a liberally long wiring harness, complete with inline fuse protection and stripped and tinned wiring leads. A very easy to follow table, documents how to replace a variety of OEM OMC part number switches. You will need to provide you own new quick wiring connectors, as it would be nearly impossible to source or provide the variety of connector types (3-wire vs. 5-wire) OMC used over the years in various applications.

All of the plastic housing and cam parts were done in CAD and the fasteners and hardware have a better-than-original look and feel. The mechanical smoothness of operating the short toggle arm is apparent, as is the positive action of the computer-grade micro switch. It takes a considerable amount of thought to re-engineer an OMC designed part but TCE has managed to come up with a winner. Someone's spent considerable resources doing the design and tooling on this product.

My original OMC switch is NOT (yet) broken, but I will be getting in the queue for one of these gems. I probably won't get one installed in my boat until later this winter, so I won't be able to do a full report this season. >From our first impressions we see no reasons why (when correctly installed) this switch won't provide a lifetime of trouble-free electric-stringer shifting.

HANSEN MARINE is willing to help sponsor an OMC-BOATS discount, but they would like me to help gauge the interests of this group before dropping a large qty order. Apparently TCE builds these in small batches, so sometimes there is a waiting period of several weeks.

I'll be out tomorrow on the lake for what may be my last run of the season. Hope your season's been as fun as mine!

Lee