Re: [OMC-Boats] Review of new TC Electronics Replacement Switch

From: jd <jdood@...>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 13:46:06 -0700

Yeah _ i will be interested to find out how these switches perform
next season . If they work well, I'll probably buy one too. The
photos on their site show a shifter box that'd different than mine but
would probably still fit. The plastic arm makes me a little nervous
but i'm sure its better than original.

In the meantime........... miracles do happen! I FIXED MY ORIGINAL
PLASTIC 5 WIRE SWITCH! yay! So far so good I should say. It's
not something I would recommend for anyone lacking a ton of
patience. Anyone with Swiss watch making experience or brain
surgery experience would probably have an easier time. There's a
local place in town (actually other locations in west coast) called
Tap Plastics. They sell all the stuff to mold your own pieces.
So I made a mold of the broken disc from the original, and after
about 5 tries, got one that worked. Air in the curing plastic
bubbles were the main challenge. Once I got a good one, the next
challenge was getting the stupid switch back together without the
pieces shifting around. It;s sort of a smaller version of trying
to get the shifter housing back together without things shifting
around. Anyway - finally got it. Bench tested several times -
forward and reverse lighting up consistantly. Then installed and
reassembled shifter. Passed several back and forth tests. Then
water tested - also passing test. Even the neutral lockout works
perfectly. YEs, the original switch design still absolutely
sucks and it could fail again at anytime. But it's gonna get me
through the season until i can figure out my next move. Who knows -
it could in fact last another 5 seasons for all I know. Here's some
photos. More details to anyone who's interested.

latex mold, new part, old part.

guts of 5-wire switch. metal plate serves as contacts to close
wires. Metal arm relies on a rivet and a couple notches in the
plastic to stay secure. probably loosens way up after years of
moving back and forth.