Re: [OMC-Boats] She pumps water!

From: BLDFW <bldfw@...>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 20:37:07 -0700 (PDT)

OK guys......  I may have boo-booed big time here but let me see what you think.

After reassembling and mounting my outdrive, I filled the lower unit properly from the bottom up but apparently did not properly fill the upper unit.  The manual says to fill until oil comes out of the side plug but it didn't specify there were two side plugs, a lower one and an upper one tucked up and almost out of sight.  I thought it odd that it didn't take more than about 1/4 quart hence my question to the group about thatl.  I did see what I now know to be the upper plug but it was painted over and sealed so I did not make the connection that it was likely the "level" plug I should have used.

I took the boat out today for it's first run after resealing the upper unit.  Before going out on the lake, I ran her in a tub of water to validate the pump was indeed pumping water properly which it was.  In that test, I think I ran it for a total of 10mins over the span of perhaps an hour.  I thought the outdrive sounded a bit loud but not being familiar with it, I noted it and as before posted a comment to the group about it.

Late this morning I put her in the water at a friends marina (glad to say she was water tight with no leaks).  I idled over to my buddy's houseboat circling several times in the area behind his boat while he brought the truck around, probably about 7mins max.  After that, I shut her down down for about 2hrs while we did some work on his boat.

When we finally got around to checking my boat I idled out to the main lake and accelerated only mildly because I didn't want to overdue anything until I had better confidence in it.  I still wondered about the loudness of the outdrive whirring away.  As it turned out I could not go over 1000k rpms anyway because she severely needs a tune up which was not immediately apparent running in a bucket and not under any load.

Overall, the test run lasted only 30mins and only running somewhere around 600-1000 rpms.  When it became apparent she would not go over 1000rpms, we just idled over to my buddy's boat and tied up for the afternoon and did not run it again until I idled back over to the boat ramp.

It was not run bone dry, probably 1/4 quart or whatever amount is contained below the lower drainplug and overall it was not run hard or for very long.  I'm thinking it was not enough to incur any damage but who knows!?  Anyway, I thought I'd see if anyone had a similar such circumstance.  Anyone care to offer an opinon on the likelihood of damage??

Thanks.

-Bill
Dallas, TX
1970 Evinrude Explorer - 155 Buick V6 - OMC Sterndrive
http://www.photobucket.com/evinrude_explorer