[OMC-Boats] She pumps water!

From: BLDFW <bldfw@...>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 07:04:50 -0700 (PDT)

FINALLY......  I finished putting my outdrive back together after replacing most of the seals and now she's pumping water pretty strongly.  I replaced the intake hoses with clear plastic ones so I could monitor them regularly.

Couple of questions:

The exhaust black plastic/rubber ring seal between the exhaust housing and the lower unit doesn't appear to be very well.  Dirty exhaust water is bubbling up and out around the ring.  Is that a problem?  I wouldn't think so since that's likely under water most of the time anyway but thought I'd ask to be sure.  A new ring is a whopping $38.00

Also, maybe it's only because it's out of the water but the outdrive sure seems noisy to me.  Like a loud whirring noise.  Maybe just the impeller doing it's thing?  Are they always that loud?

And finally, when I filled with type C gear oil, the lower unit took about a quart.  On the other hand, the upper unit took only a quarter quart.  Is that right?  I followed the instruction manual to fill from the top of the upper unit until it starts coming out of the lower drain plug but I'd have thought it should take more than that.  No?

I'd love to take her out today but I don't have a bimini top yet (waiting to get the mechanicals finished) and it's supposed to be 103 today (again for nearly two weeks) and I have been out on a boat with no cover....NASTY.  Comfort is a big part of the equation so I may skip today in favor of Friday where it will only be 90-95.!

-Bill
Dallas, TX
1970 Evinrude Explorer - 155 Buick V6 - OMC Sterndrive
http://www.photobucket.com/evinrude_explorer