[OMC-Boats] Fuel Pump / Water Pump questions

From: BLDFW <bldfw@...>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 19:05:17 -0700 (PDT)

I finally got my outdrive back together and now trying to test in a tub of water but encountering some issues that are generating questions.....

Fuel Pump
Before I dismantled the outdrive I was able to start....after some priming of gas directly into the carb....and keep the boat running.  Now it will not stay running.  The last fuel filter suggested the screen was cruddy so I replaced it and poured about 2 gals of gas into the tank.  The new filter is 'damp' but it's not full as I assume it should be.  Should it be??

If not, does that suggest the mechanical pump is going?  I have a spare electric fuel pump I could install and bypass the mechanical one altogether.  Thoughts?

Water Pump.
I replaced the impeller and related seals and have the outdrive in a tub of water.  I also replaced the intake hoses with clear hoses so I could better see what's going on but I'm not seeing any water pumping up.  Now, given the above problems, maybe it's not idling long enough to get the water up to the manifolds.  I would think it should....but what do I know.  Thoughts on that?

Thanks.

-Bill
Dallas, TX
1970 Evinrude Explorer - 155 Buick V6 - OMC Sterndrive
http://www.evinrude.com/evinrude_explorer