Re: [OMC-Boats] She pumps water!

From: Gregory B. Fell <gfell@...>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:50:27 -0500
What lake do you use?  I was out on Lake Lavon Monday pulling the kiddos.

Gregory B. Fell
The Fell Law Firm
3300 Oak Lawn Avenue, Suite 700
Dallas, Texas 75219
PHN: 972-488-8177
FAX: 214-219-4218

GFELL@...
Fell Law Firm Logo

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. This message may be an attorney-client communication and/or work product and as such is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.

This communication does not reflect an intention by the sender or the sender's client or principal to conduct a transaction or make any agreement by electronic means. Nothing contained in this message or in any attachment shall satisfy the requirements for a writing, and nothing contained herein shall constitute a contract or electronic signature under the Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act, any version of the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act or any other statute governing electronic transactions.

BLDFW wrote:
FINALLY......  I finished putting my outdrive back together after replacing most of the seals and now she's pumping water pretty strongly.  I replaced the intake hoses with clear plastic ones so I could monitor them regularly.

Couple of questions:

The exhaust black plastic/rubber ring seal between the exhaust housing and the lower unit doesn't appear to be very well.  Dirty exhaust water is bubbling up and out around the ring.  Is that a problem?  I wouldn't think so since that's likely under water most of the time anyway but thought I'd ask to be sure.  A new ring is a whopping $38.00

Also, maybe it's only because it's out of the water but the outdrive sure seems noisy to me.  Like a loud whirring noise.  Maybe just the impeller doing it's thing?  Are they always that loud?

And finally, when I filled with type C gear oil, the lower unit took about a quart.  On the other hand, the upper unit took only a quarter quart.  Is that right?  I followed the instruction manual to fill from the top of the upper unit until it starts coming out of the lower drain plug but I'd have thought it should take more than that.  No?

I'd love to take her out today but I don't have a bimini top yet (waiting to get the mechanicals finished) and it's supposed to be 103 today (again for nearly two weeks) and I have been out on a boat with no cover....NASTY.  Comfort is a big part of the equation so I may skip today in favor of Friday where it will only be 90-95.!

-Bill
Dallas, TX
1970 Evinrude Explorer - 155 Buick V6 - OMC Sterndrive
http://www.photobucket.com/evinrude_explorer