Re: [OMC-Boats] AGM Batteries

From: Lee K. Shuster \(lib1\) <lib1@...>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 17:08:16 -0600

Wayne,

It should never be a problem with a properly operating OMC-Prestolite (OEM) alternator w/ the stock external regulator.

I've used Optima Blue top batteries for five years now and report no problems with OMC-Prestolite regulation or recharging.

http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html

If you want some extra peace of mind, I recommend using an on-board active battery desulphator.
I wired mine onboard so it works with the Prestolite alternator, or when I hook up an external charger.
http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-restoration/12-volt/OBD-12.html

Technically you might occasionally exceed the 14.1 vDC recommendation depending on operating conditions, but I don't think it will ever be a problem.

Watch your existing ammeter (a feature no longer found on popular boats) and if you are really worried you could easily install a (less useful, IMHO) voltmeter to monitor battery charging conditions. I like the Voltminder, (but not for the concerns you raised.) I use it to monitor and alarm on voltage drops like when leaving the anchor light on all night.

http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-products/UPGvoltminder.html

Lee