Re: [OMC-Boats] Outdrive Vintage Question

From: Lee Shuster (lib1) <lib1@...>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 18:14:34 -0600

 From the looks of things in your electrical pictures, "someone" has
replaced your engine (not original OMC block color) which also
explains why you can't find an OMC ID plate that is normally riveted
on the Port cyl head near the front. It can be hard to tell which
Buick V6 you have (the made cu in displacements of 196-225-231-odd and
231-even and 252-even. You'll have to check casting numbers to
determine which block you have and then look them up on the many Buick
V6 web sites. Let's assume for now you have a 225 odd-fire V6 that was
built by GM or Kaiser Jeep. I would be concerned (as perviously
mentioned about an automotive water pump, because most shade-tree
mechanics would just trade engines and not move over the marine-rated
accessories.

Beginning in 1969 OMC began using two large ROUND 10-pin electrical
connectors, that replaced two white, rectangular Molex connectors and
a dangerous open (hot) terminal strip. The YELLOW Round Connector is
used to bundle 6 wires, used for Bilge pump/blower, Tilt Motor, Tilt
Relays and Electric Shift Control. The original BLACK Round connector
bundles 9 wires that all route to engine functions, like instrument
sensors, starter, alternator, regulator, coil, essentially all engine
attached devices. On pre 69 models the open terminal block had three
heavy current wires. A Ground (Black) and two Positives, one Green and
one Brown. The Brown was the Alternator output. The Green was used to
feed the tilt relays and starter relay. Its hard to tell from the
pictures how these are presently wired, but they don't appear to
follow factory conventions.

It looks like "someone" took some short cuts when they replaced your
engine, outdrive and possible your intermediate section as well (with
the older style electrical terminal block). The terminal barrier strip
not present on 1969 - 1970 OMC boats is the give away. The also
eliminated the Black round engine service connector and hard-spliced
in the engine wiring with what look a lot like yellow wire nuts (could
be crimp-ons, can really tell). They also did some rather "funky"
wiring like the large red wire they have run down to the starter or
battery to feed the tilt relays. On pre-68 mode this wire normally
ties into the barrier strip, which apparently came with your older
replacement intermediate section.

Just curious, what color is your outdrive leg painted? Does it show
evidence of having been repainted? (My 1970 catalog shows a navy blue
sterndrive on the Evinrude explorer.) There are a lot of not so
obvious differences on the older 4-bolt cap units. Since they were
older and only made 3-4 years, vs a 10-year run on the 5-cap units,
many parts are not interchangeable and are much harder to fine. I
wouldn't worry as much about the condition of the ball gears, as I
would counting input shaft to prop shaft rotations, to determine what
overall (engine to prop) gear ratio you have. Ideally the V6 at sea
level should run a 1.54:1.00 overall ratio, or if you want to count
upper gear teeth you should have 25 and 25 on a V6. (lower gears are
always 15 and 23 teeth regardless of engine).

Lee