Re: [OMC-Boats] Outdrive Vintage Question

From: BLDFW <bldfw@...>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 12:34:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Lee

I attached a pic of the engine compartment that shows one plug and a bundle of wires that might have been a plug at one time.  What's that tell you?

Also, exactly where would I find the engine ID??  I've tried to find it before but not sure I'm looking in the right place.  In the center of the block at the top rear is a number; 1381623, along with a number 5 by itself and the GM stamp.  If that's not it, tell me where else to look.  I didn't see any stampings at the end of the heads so not sure where else to look.

Also, attached are two pics of the ball gears.  Seems the gear on the outdrive is more worn than the one on the transom.  Is that normal?  In anycase, I think I'm going to go ahead and replace them....or should I do only the outdrive?  Thoughts?

-Bill Dallas, TX 1970 Evinrude Explorer - 155 Buick V6 - OMC sterndrive http://www.photobucket.com/evinrude_explorer