Re: [OMC-Boats] Outdrive Vintage Question

From: BLDFW <bldfw@...>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 18:48:22 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Lee,

The guy I bought the boat from suggested the engine had been replaced at some point but that was all he knew about it.  The boat owner died in '92, the last time it was registered.  The son sold it to a Marine shop east of Ft. Worth back in '02.  No telling how many hands it had been through before me but no one ever bothered to get the title changed so I contacted the son and he was quite willing to assist me in getting the proper title documents.  In the meantime, clearly someone's done some work on it but it's hard to tell when the that occured. I kinda wonder if some interim person started to restore it and eventually gave up for whatever reason.  Then again, it could have been the original owner.

In anycase, the wiring may be a bit funky at the moment but she runs and everything works as it should (counting my blessings!).  That was one of the first things I worked but I didn't have to change anything out back there.  I could correct it later but not going to press my luck just yet.  You're right that the wires are corn nutted together.  I can fix that easily down the line.

Regarding the outdrive....  The upper unit does show signs of having been repainted.  I'm seeing some spots of navy paint in a couple of places.  The exhaust housing and lower unit, however, appear to have always been white.  It does not look repainted and I'm not seeing any flaking or oddities in the paint.  Perhaps a mixed outdrive??  I'm attaching some pics for your viewing pleasure.

Regarding my water circulation problem.....  I think I found the problem.  The impeller and housing are in good shape.  I'm not seeing any problems with the impeller itself.  It's all there with no chunks missing (see pic).  In the lower unit, however, where the impeller shaft slips down into the lower unit sleeve (part of the swivel housing I believe), there is a groove aournd the  top edge of the inside sleeve (see pic) that appears to be missing an ever so important O-ring.  Couldn't believe it.  I had to feel it twice to be sure!  Likely as not that allowed exhaust to circulate and disrupt the flow of water.  Glad I'm ordering a re-seal kit.

Finally, regarding the ball gears, are you suggesting the one on the outdrive does NOT need to be replaced.  I don't like the looks of it but maybe I'm just a novice.  Did you get a clear look at it on one of the pics I sent over?

Thanks for the valuable feedback.  It's much appreciated!

-Bill Dallas, TX 1970 Evinrude Explorer - 155 Buick V6 - OMC sterndrive http://www.photobucket.com/evinrude_explorer