Re: [OMC-Boats] 1970 Sportsman 155 outdrive stuck in up position

From: BC Howk <bchowk@...>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 20:10:38 -0500 (CDT)
Bill,

You are welcome. I have recieved a ton of good info here from the community I'm just trying to return the favor with some of my own experience.

In case your curious, here is my reasoning for suspecting the tilt motor...

If the gear did not move for either up or down but you are getting clicking at the solenoids. There are two Solenoids going to that tilt motor, you guessed it..one up and one down very unlikely they went bad at exactly the same time. I believe the solenoids are both grounded to their mounting bolt and I know this is the case for the tilt motor...again unlikely both grounds would go bad at the same time. so only a few things can be wrong.

A shorted wire or corroded connection (between the Solenoid and the Tilt motor), a weak battery (and possibly a bigger problem with the charging system) or a bad Tilt motor.

If it does turn out to be the motor and you have the resources to take to somebody and aren't determined to fix it yourself out of some misguided sense of being challenged (like me) Then the marina is a wise choice, although I'm certain you could do it yourself. Taking it in will certainly save some frustration and time. What do they say?...."sometimes descretion is the better part of valor"....

Cheers,
B.C.