[OMC-Boats] Evinrude Explorer Redecking

From: BLDFW <bldfw@...>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 10:09:37 -0700 (PDT)

I've resined both sides of the plywood deck and the attachments so I think
I'll be good there. Once the deck is installed, then I'll lay glass on top
of that for added strength. You right through, I shouldn't have a problem
in my life time. I'm also dug out some of the rotted foam retaining plywood
at the rear where it meets with the engine compartment bulkhead. Had to dig
about 3 inches. I've installed the locker leaving the retaining walls sandwiched
between the storage locker and the foam. I'm now slowing filling that in with
resign to seal it and give it added strength.
Lee, I've looked pretty close and the stringers the engine is sitting on look to be in pretty good condition.  I'm not seeing any signes of problems there but you are right, it could be hidden.  I'm sure I'll find out the first time I put her under load!  LOL.

I'll post some pics in the next couple of days if the list permits.

-Bill
Dallas, TX

--- On Thu, 10/30/08, omc-boats-request@... <omc-boats-request@...> wrote:

 >The foam is "closed cell foam" meaning it should not take water into
> I would GUESS that there are a couple gallons of water in there which translates
>into added weight. That probably is no problem except when you close that
>all up will you get rot to the undersurface or your wood? Probably not in
>your lifetime. >------

The other slight concern in the area of the enginge compartment floor is the
structural integrity.

>The name "Stringer" comes from the fact that the engine uses four floor
>mounts. The mounts are tied into the underfloor two stringers that run the
>length of the boat offset approximately a foot either side of the keel. The
>integrated topdeck motor compartment does make getting at this very
>difficult, as opposed to the earlier (64-67 model year) Sportsmans which had
>the removeable engine compartment bulkhead.

Your "Cab Forward" Explorer is either a 1969 or 1970 model year,
(these were the last designs offered by OMC). You boat uses the 4-inch deeper deadrise
hull which was introduced on all 1969 16-footers. It IS a great design by
Ralph Lambrecht, who was chief engineer in charge of boat manufacturing and
later was in charge of sterndrive manufacturing in the seventies.

Lee Shuster