Re: [omc-boats] Prop Rebuild/re-pitch

From: lib1@...
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 17:04:25 -0700

Good points, Andy.

I paid $60 this year to have a 14x13 SST rebuilt (same pitch) after I took a
nick out of one blade at slow speed.

BTW, Aluminum props are typically more expensive to repair than stainless
steel as they tend to shed or fracture large chunks when they strike
objects.

Locally in Salt Lake, we have two shops that handle OMC stringer prop
repairs. A-Rock and Hansen Marine, both are listed on my website at:
http://hhscott.com/evinrude/sources.htm

As a side note: I ran a 14x13 SST prop @... 6200 ft ASL @... WOT = 4400 RPM and
got 38 mph, 2 people aboard. The 14X15 SST prop @... 3610 ft ASL WOT = 4000 RPM
also got 38 mph, 2 people aboard. Both verifed by GPS. My boat (16-ft 66
Sportsman w/215 V8 pretty much hits a max speed "wall" and likes to get
porpoise "happy.")

The taller 15-inch pitch prop does yield a little better cruise economy, in
the mid-range, since it lowers RPM a couple hundred RPM at a given planning
speed. Fuel economy seems to be really "sweet" around 22 - 25 mph.

Lee Shuster
Salt Lake City