RE: [omc-boats] venting the cowling

From: Greg Van Vliet <gvanvliet@...>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:35:12 -0700

Tom,

I've just done the same thing. I separated the top deck from the hull and
then stripped everything off. My floor was absolutely rotten to the point
of crumbling into little bits when I tried pulling it up. I ended up using
a flat shovel for most of it. The foam underneath was cracked in many
places. It wasn't heavily saturated with water, but it had "layers" of
water in areas and "spots" where there had been fasteners in the floor. I
even ended up cutting open the top of the stringers to remove the foam
because they had some water inside as well. There was a layer about 1/2"
thick on most of the sides and bottom.

Right now my hull is completely empty of any foam. It's very flexible in
this state and I can see how the foam is integral to it's structural
design. I'm researching in my area for foam product and technique options
as well as plywood. There's a fibreglass shop next door to my work so I'm
going to go and pay them a visit. I might be lucky and get a deal for them
to do the foaming and glassing work. At the least I should get some good
advice.

Here's a link to the foam that David Hanson used for his project. We need
the 4lb foam due to the structural requirements.
http://www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html

BTW - I have taken a lot of pictures of the work so far. When it's all
done I might have a good collection to send to Phil for a "Floor and foam
replacement gallery".

Regards,
Greg