RE: [omc-boats] fuel pump

From: jdood <jdood@...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:35:09 -0700

I have a Johnson Deluxe that had been sitting in a junk yard for years,
but has now been brought back to life. When completely done I will post
photos. I took it out this weekend for it's first real spin - wophoo!
. After weeks of spiffing up, the engine is running strong and smooth.
Only one small problem. Warm starts. Cold starts seem to be good.
But after running it for even just 15 minutes, it won't start back up
when hot. Fortunately I have only experienced this problem while
arriving back at the dock ready to load onto the trailer - I didn't want
to chance turning off the engine while out on the river. So a couple
people now I have talked to have said it could be "vapor lock" in the
fuel line - fuel getting so hot in the lines it vaporizes. It has new
everything all the way form the tank to the fuel pump, but the pump and
engine lines are original. The pump is mounted right up against the
engine and gets really hot. The line is copper and gets really hot.
Both guys said it was very common 40 yrs ago to have to just sit for
awhile and let your engine cool down before being able to restart.
So one of many things I am going to try over the next few weeks to try
and make things cooler is to get a new fuel pump and mount it outside
the engine compartment somewhere, and replace the copper line with
rubber. Anyone ever tried this? Anyone have the same hot start
issues?

Thanks, jeff