Re: [omc-boats] Re: trailer bearing seals

From: David <odin@...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:46:29 -0500

I would think that you can tell the seal size by the bearings - the OD
and ID of the bearings can be used to match the seals since they sit
next to the bearing they would have identical OD's but undersized ID's -
I don't know what town you are in, but in my area there are lots of
bearing companies that can match help match them. Dave

Micah Donahue wrote:

> Erik --
> I wish it were as easy as "be brave"!
>
> Unfortunately the one remaining seal (other side shredded to confetti
> when the bearings failed) is worn to the point where you can't read
> the #s. NAPA compared it to every single seal on their shelves, but
> couldn't find a match. Calipers might help, but I was worried it was
> no longer the right size due to wear. I WAS able to get replacement
> bearings/races by taking them into the store, but of course that
> doesn't tell me what the right seals are.
>
> If someone can't help me out, maybe the antique parts manual will.
> Here's hoping...
>
> Cheers,
> -Micah
>
> On Jul 24, 2006, at 12:00 PM, omc-boats-digest wrote:
>

>> omc-boats-digest Monday, July 24 2006 Volume 01 :
>> Number 543
>>

>> [omc-boats] Re: omc-boats-digest V1 #542
>> RE: [omc-boats] Really need trailer bearing seal info
>> Re: [omc-boats] Buy of the year

>> Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 23:56:47 -0400
>> From: "Thomas Klauber" <tklauber@...>
>> Subject: [omc-boats] Re: omc-boats-digest V1 #542
>>
>> It was 2 years ago I did the seal replacement. It is not too
>> complicated
>> once you get into it. The instructions are always vague but the
>> assembly
>> follows logic. You pull the drive shaft and on older models the
>> bearing will
>> come out with it. It is a big roller bearing that you will have to
>> press off
>> to get the retainer plate off which seals the shaft next to the ball
>> gear. I
>> am not sure if there is another seal inside the cavity but replace
>> it too.
>> They suggest using a sealing compound to seal the seals in their
>> grooves.
>> You are sealing the metal part of the seal to the metal part of the
>> cavity.Take care when removing and installing the components - try
>> not to
>> let them get in lopsided. You can do it in a day if you have the
>> parts. NAPA
>> has many of the parts you will need. Take notes as to what side the
>> seal
>> bevels go. Tom K.

>>> store [and better NAPA stores] and they should have a caliper to

>>> www.quotationspage.com/</A></DIV></XBODY></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></