[omc-boats] Resoucres on Props

From: lib1@...
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 17:52:50 -0600

If anyone has technical questions on props used on the OMC/E/J boats and sterndrives, I have compiled several web-based pages at:

http://hhscott.com/evinrude/choosing_a_prop.htm

http://hhscott.com/evinrude/props.htm

http://hhscott.com/evinrude/docs/BSLAC.htm

Many things will affect which prop you should choose, including water logging beneath your floor! (From the calculators I have included you can see that weight drastically affects boat performance, as does altitude above sea leavel and the condition of the hull (trailer hooking and marine growth can drastically affect performance and hence choice of prop.) The original prop that came with you boat is likely long-gone, and even if it isn't long-gone it's probably not the best choice for your boat 40 years longer. Also, the SST (stainless steel Teflon coated props) are 1-2 mph faster and get out of the whole better, due to less flexing of the blades. SST';s are all odd-inch pitches, while the stock Aluminium are even-inched pitches.

If you explore these links carefully, you'll be able to determine which prop you have by the part number stamped on the prop. You'll also be able to find appropriate props listed on eBay from time to time by frequently using this handy URL:

http://search-desc.ebay.com/OMC-Pin-14_Propellers_W0QQcatrefZC3QQfromZR10QQfsopZ1QQftsZ2QQsacatZ26456

Lee Shuster
Salt Lake City