RE: [omc-boats] 69 rogue

From: Tom Paquette <tpaquette@...>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 16:19:15 -0400

Mine is an outboard. It is a Sport 14…. The water gets into the plywood
via the engine bolts. If you unmount the motor and take off the aluminum
plate you will find the plywood is dry rotted. You can press a screwdriver
or other tool into it without any/much pressure……Mine also looked dry rotted
but not too bad till I really checked out the spots that I thought were only
slightly bad….

The boat was always under shelter except during summer usage….

What I have done is used a small saws-all type tool to cut the back seat
section from the hull. There is actually a lot of epoxy in the seam so if
you go slow you wont cut the seat section or hull.

Once It was cut at the hull it lifted right out.

My fears were reaffirmed as the section of plywood between the seating top
hull and the body where they meet for engine mounting was basically all dry
rotted. I used a large screw driver and a chisel by hand and scrapped it
from the outside hull fiber glass. So there was no need to cut the outside
hull at all.

The transom plywood sits directly on the floor plywood so if the floor is
solid you don’t have to worry about any major surgery other than the seat /
hull joint.

My floor was shot too so I pulled it at the same time.

I guess I was fortunate in that the foam was dry except for a small amount
of water in the very top area of the foam and it did dry out. Maybe you
will have the same luck in no major water absorption.

I am currently prepping to reinstall everything.

I can send photos of how it looks as it is disassembled if that would help
you.

Tom

Charlotte - NC

  _____