Re: [omc-boats] Steering on OMC boats

From: LeeHazen@...
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 11:05:07 EDT

I've found that the steering effort on Johnson Seasport 155 boats is very
light.

One finger can turn the out drive lock to lock in a properly installed cable
steering setup.

All pulleys will need to be oiled, the grooved cable receiver at the outdrive
should be greased or oiled, the outdrive itself should have the swivel
bearings
greased and the steering wheel shaft will need oiling.

Tension the cables and springs so the springs deflect about 1/2" and keep
good tension on the cables.

That OMC out drive is so wonderful they way it turns almost 180 degrees
from lock to lock. I've blown people away with some of my parking
maneuvers when docking.

I hope the 19' Johnson Surfer turns out to handle as nice as the 16' Seasport.

I should be getting it back before long and hopefully, the water in the
engine oil
problem will be gone.

Lee Hazen