Re: [omc-boats] Introduction (new owner of 1970 Evinrude Explorer 16)

From: LShuster \(lib1\) <lib1@...>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:53:45 -0600

Hi Ethan,

Great introduction! Appreciate hearing of your adventures. You photo,
boat-diving,jpg would have made an excellent 1970 Evinrude Explorer ad.
You're in the heart of Evinrude country with a really cool and fairly rare
model. I always thought the Explorer/FrontRunners were soooo functional, if
not just a little ugly-ducky, especially out of water. But I love to see
people having fun using these boats, your pics are great. Thanks for sharing
them with us.

You've really dived in (pun intended) and done a lot of work on this old
girl, so congrats. I admire your willingness to tackle the mechanical
sterndrive repairs. What P/N or pitch prop did you go with? Smart move on
the pump and blower. What'd you go with? Did you use an auto-sensing bilge
pump? Try not to turn the ball gears (run engine) in anything but fully down
position, as they will wear prematurely otherwise. Comparatively speaking,
props are easier and cheaper to replace than internals, but I'd try to find
some deeper water or pole it in and out or have a buddy line -it out while
you start it and then pull it our to the dock? Just curious what shape was
your sterndrive rubber boot seal in?

My V6 Buick got sold recently and I'm going to a 307 SB Chevy, so I can't
check out the V6 oil drain plug for you. Most people get a drill-powered
pump and suck the oil out the dipstick. My dipstick on the 66 Sportsman was
nestled between the head and the manifold, as you said next to the OIL cap.
See: http://hhscott.com/evinrude/images/PA140010.JPG

Your electrical improvements sound good, but I'd try to save the old
original switch gear and panels, they pop out easily and are fairly modular.
First Use DeOxIT D5, followed by Stabilant 22. They usually will solve most
electrical oxidation & corrosion issues. Worth every penny.
  DeoxIT D5

    Craig Laboratories, Inc.
    16744 West Bernardo Drive
    San Diego, CA 92127-1904

    Phone:(619) 451-1799
    FAX: (619) 451-2799

  Stabilant 22

  D. W. Electrochemicals Ltd.
  97 Newkirk Road North, Unit 3
  Richmond Hill, Ontario L4C 3G4
  CANADA

  Phone:(905) 508-7500
  FAX:(905) 508-7502

  A stern-mounted swim platform will come in handy, I've thought about one
too. The ladder's always seems to get left in the van when we need it. I
think you'll be able to probably get those trailer brakes working again, but
you're right, the master cylinder and calipers will probably need honing,
flushing, new seals. and bleeding to get them going again.

  I'll try to look up the uppercase CC's tonight, should be in the Seloc or
Clymer OMC manuals. Did you do the rebuild without benefits of those or OMC
parts manuals? If so you're a brave soul!

  Haven't tried it but I think if you remove the trailer bearings a good
Ag/Truck/Auto bearing place should be able to provide an exact match.
Changing the axle or spindles looks like a major headache and shouldn't be
that necessary. I'd just stick with the 9-inches as they are reasonably
priced and available from Ag suppliers like http://Gemplers.com

  Here's a source for a dual 2-inch, Amp/Volt meter: http://www.westach.com/
They also can supply a dual, 2-inch, Water Temp/Oil Pressure. You can then
make a Tee as you will need dual sensors if you intend to retain the Hot/OIL
idiot lights. Alternatively they also make single instruments that have
adjustable red LED warning lights. If you tach doesn't "re-calibrate" by
changing the 4-6-8 adjustment switch on the back, these guys can help you
recalbrate it as well, but with your EE background you could build a pulse
adapting circuit that would allow you to adjust it to a known good source.

  Haven't answered all your question, but it's at least a start. Welcome
aboard!

  Lee Shuster

  Salt Lake City