Re: [omc-boats] Tow Vehicles

From: LeeHazen@...
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:05:33 EST

In a message dated 3/17/05 10:25:54 AM Central Standard Time,
windfallfarm@... writes:

<< My boat has never seen salt water and
 never will, so that is a plus. Plenty of green slime on the hull to slow her
 down though. Any suggestions on a good strong hull cleaning detergent?

I've had good luck with plastic grill scrubbers - black ones with the harder
"sponge" type material. The hardest part to get clean is the sides where the
sun shines and the algae grows thickest. Push the boat out into about 7 feet
of
water and put on a face mask and get underneith the boat to clean the bottom.
That part is usually easy to get clean with the scrubber.

>One big question, what about the steering cables that run from the stern
 drive to the wheel, mine are showing age and wear, cracking, dry rot. What
 do to replace them or keep the plastic coating from cracking further? any
 suggestions? >>

You will need to replace them with new stainless coated cables. It's easier
replace them before they break so you can see exactly how they are routed.

The cables are terminated under the right side about where the top frame is
mounted. There are springs to keep the cable tensioned. You use ONE piece
of cable and thread it down to the outdrive and back up to the steering wheel
and back to the spring. Both ends connect at the spring.

It's been a long time - maybe 25 years since I've done the steering cable
proceedure..

Lee Hazen

Don't forget to lubricate all the fittings on the out drive so it will swivel
easily.

Lee Hazen