Re: omc-boats-digest V1 #164

From: Thomas Klauber <tklauber@...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:12:54 -0400

When I started my floor several years ago I was like you, not sure of what I
would find but wanted to investigate so I started at the front and started
chasing rotten floor till I ended up removing the entire floor! I pulled out
a pickup bed load of soggy foam before I was done. I would wait till the end
of the boating season and begin the project which can not be rushed and
takes time. You will find the total subfloor (below fiberglass covered
plywood deck) filled with 2 part foam that is easily obtained today but
takes practice to use as it expands and gets warm with curing. I found a lot
of the plywood flooring rotted but structurally sound due to the rigidity
provided by the foam and fiberglass floor. I removed flooring in as large of
sheets as I could and used them as patterns to replace exactly as
previous.The stringers had less rot than anticipated but they are encased in
fiberglass which keeps out ( and in ) water. I built in new front stringer
sections (about 1.5 foot)and you can do that very solidly as they don't
show. I felt unable to come up with a better floor design on my own so I
decided to replicate theirs. The construction is very basic and easy to
replicate but take measurements and make drawings as you go. Do not trust
your memory. You basically need a saw and something to scoop or drill the
foam out.The foam usually would just pop out where waterlogged. The water
weight was not as great as I had anticipated which is why I think you can
wait till convenient.
The water gets in places where it cannot "dry out". I would not even
entertain that as an option however I more than once wondered if a drain
plug at the lowest point of the hull would allow the hull foam to drip dry
over several years but I never had the courage to drill a hole in the
bottom! I hope this helps with some of your decisions. Whatever works! You
can call me if you need more advice. TK, Marion,SC ----- Original
Message -----