17 ft johnson deluxe

From: Bob Brejack <rabbit43@...>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 19:18:06 -0400

BRUCE, I see by your e-mail to JED that you have a 17 ft. tri hull deluxe ,I
have a 1964 johnson 17 ft. tri hull deluxe also and was wondering if you
could help me with a problem that I have. I purchased it 3 months ago from
my neighbor it was her husbands boat ,he passed away in 1984 of a heart
attack and the boat just sat in her shed until I came along. THE boat needed
a major clean up witch I have been doing for the first 3 weeks of ownership
and it cleaned up quite nicely.I drained the oil and replaced the oil filter
adding new 5w30 oil to the crankcase ,removed the spark plugs and squirted
some oil in each cylinder and I let it sit for a couple of weeks, With time
to spear I removed the gas tank and had it boiled out to remove all the
grime that had built up from all those years of sitting,I also installed a
new filler pipe, pick up tube and sending unite and replacing all the
flexible gas lines that were there. Next I will replace the fuel pump and
rebuild the crab???WITCH BRINGS ME TO THE QUESTION......... I by passed the
gas tank and fuel pump and rigged up a gravity feed tank to the crab I
turned the engine over by hand to be sure it was free,and it was thank GOD I
had good spark so I attempted to start it NOT before I submerged the final
drive in WATER,, believe it or not it started up with a little help ,it only
ran for a moment when I noticed that the water in the tank was not getting
warm,and the engine was I shut it down right away hoping not to damage
nothing..............I think the water pump in the final drive is frozen IS
THERE ANY WAY OF CHECKING IT ,,WITH OUT REMOVING IT,,,is it possible to
introduce some type freeing agent through the lines that go the engine
...............MY neighbor said that it was all winterized and serviced
before her husband died ANY HELP YOU COULD GIVE ME WOULD BE
APPRECIATED.........THANK YOU >>>>BOB omc-boats@...