Re: 17 ft johnson deluxe

From: omniverse@...
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 00:43:25 -0400

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001 19:18:06 -0400
 "Bob Brejack" <rabbit43@...> wrote:
> BRUCE, I see by your e-mail to JED that you have a 17 ft.
> tri hull deluxe ,I
> have a 1964 johnson 17 ft. tri hull deluxe also and was
> wondering if you
> could help me with a problem that I have.
---snip---
> WITCH BRINGS ME TO THE
> QUESTION......... I by passed the
> gas tank and fuel pump and rigged up a gravity feed tank
> to the crab I
> turned the engine over by hand to be sure it was free,and
> it was thank GOD I
> had good spark so I attempted to start it NOT before I
> submerged the final
> drive in WATER,, believe it or not it started up with a
> little help ,it only
> ran for a moment when I noticed that the water in the
> tank was not getting
> warm,and the engine was I shut it down right away hoping
> not to damage
> nothing..............I think the water pump in the final
> drive is frozen IS
> THERE ANY WAY OF CHECKING IT ,,WITH OUT REMOVING IT,,,is
> it possible to
> introduce some type freeing agent through the lines that
> go the engine
> ...............MY neighbor said that it was all
> winterized and serviced
> before her husband died ANY HELP YOU COULD GIVE ME
> WOULD BE
> APPRECIATED.........THANK YOU >>>>BOB

I'm not Bruce but I am another Bob.

Could it be that the thermostat is stuck closed? 17 years
or more of sitting idle could certainly affect that I'd
suspect. At least getting the thermostat out is probably
easier than checking the pump impellor.

I'm replying more for reason of amazement it started up
right away than I am to help. I'm new to boats, and
although I've had mine apart and back together I don't know
the idiosynchrosies of how they operate.

Farewell,
Bob Hughes