Re: [OMC-Boats] Need Wisdom on a 64 Johnson Deluxe/69 Evinrude Sportsman

From: William Howk <bchowk@...>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 14:02:27 -0800

"I dont want to sink a bunch into it, but would like to get it on the
water." ....Oh how many of us have been there? Sadly the truth is; any boat
is going to cost you plenty of money ..period...however you can offset it a
little, it all depends on what you are willing/capable of doing to save a
few bucks.

Lot's of varialbles with what you've told us make it pretty hard to give
you responsible advise.....

If you do not have the tools, time or inclination to install/remove an
engine, then yes; it is going to cost you a fair amount of money to have
someone else do it....How much does your boat guy think, did he give you an
estimate?

What engine does the Evinrude have? Did the Deluxe have the same?

Assuming you are all set for a straight up swap...How much you think you
can get for the Evinrude as a parts boat? Balance that against what a new
engine would cost you.

Then ask your mechanic how much for the labor to pull the engine out. at
that point you could sell which ever outdrive you have left to recoup a
little. Is there anything else on the Evinrude you could sell bit by
bit....Do you have the time or inclination to do that?

Whatever you do, good luck to you.

Cheers,
B.C.