Re: [OMC-Boats] Outdrive lift problems

From: BLDFW <bldfw@...>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 11:16:43 -0700 (PDT)

   Paul, I pulled the manual that came with the boat but it's not for the right year.  It does show the hand wheel crank but there is no such thing on my boat.  I looked at the end of the drive motor and it did not look like it was missing the crank as the cap at the end of motor only had smooth outward cast bulges, no shaft for a hand wheel to attach too. That doesn't sound normal and it's definitely odd that there is not a means then to manually adjust the lift. This ring a bell with anyone else? -Bill Cedar Creek Lake, TX 1970 Evinrude Explorer - 155 Buick V6 - OMC Sterndrive http://www.photobucket.com/evinrude_explorer ________________________________ From: Paul Hamilton <prhamilt@...com> To: BLDFW <bldfw@...> Sent: Thursday, July 5, 2012 7:46 AM Subject: Re: [OMC-Boats] Outdrive lift problems I just went through a similar scenario with my 67 Sportsman.  Following Lee Shuster's advice I started by checking connections and wiring.  I replaced some corroded wires and the solenoids while I was at it.  No help.  Eventually I found that one of the new solenoids was bad;  still no go.  I bench tested the lift motor and eventually found it had a dead spot, that is, when stopped at one or more certain positions the motor won't restart even when directly wired to the battery.  Manually turning the shaft a quarter turn or so and powering up and that motor worked.  This is consistent with some of the sporadic operation you describe and that I had experienced.  When on the water last year I found that using the hand wheel to turn the motor a bit allowed the motor to operate.  I never had a problem with down but up was intermitent but perhaps that had something to do with the power requirements of the two operations. You could try using the hand wheel to get on the water this weekend if you don't anticipate needing to lift frequently - its a bit of a pained but.... I will be dropping my motor off for rebuild later today but I have a back up boat in my 66 Sportsman. Paul On Jul 4, 2012 11:03 PM, "BLDFW" <bldfw@...> wrote: Howdy folks, > > >Got my Explorer out after it's sitting for a year and a half in the back corner of the carport.  I'm having some sporadic outdrive lift problems and soliciting opinions on what I might look for when troubleshooting. > > >Previously, I've never had any problems with the raising or lowering the outdrive.  In the last couple of days, it's not been working properly.  I'm thinking it's more solenoid related but not sure.  When I first stored it the summer before last, I made sure the outdrive was down.  The other day when I tried to lift it the solenoid would just clicke.  Eventually I could get the drive to lift but then not go down.  After clicking the solenoids a few time the outdrive would drop down and then it seem to work fine up or down.  Today, after towing it 65mi to the lake, it decided to not work again.  The solenoids would click but the lift motor would do nothing.  I had a friend looking at with me.  Suddenly the outdrived dropped about 3/4 down.  It would have gone all the way down had I not let off the switch but I'm not fond of letting it bang all the way down.  Not the outdrive is stuck in the 3/4 down and inspite of my initial playing around
 with it, it still doesn't do anything but click the solenoids.  The battery is good and fully charged. > > >I replaced the solenoids 2 years ago when I finished restoring the interior.  It is possible they have gone bad? > > > >Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated.  I'd sure like to get her out on the lake this weekend. > > >Thanks! > > >-Bill >Cedar Creek Lake, TX >1970 Evinrude Explorer - 155 Buick V6 - OMC Sterndrive >http://www.photobucket.com/evinrude_explorer > >_______________________________________________ >OMC-Boats mailing list >OMC-Boats@... >http://lists.ultimate.com/mailman/listinfo/omc-boats > >