Re: [OMC-Boats] Gas tank question

From: Ethan Brodsky <brodskye@...>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:14:21 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012, tklauber@... wrote:
> Am restoring a gas tank to a 69 Sportsman. What is that gray stuff they use
> to seal the screws to the inspection cover?  It looks like JB weld or
> something.  I assume it is a sealer and locks the screw in place. It comes
> off rather easy after 40 + years.                                 Tom K.

I had mine apart back in '04 because it was leaking badly from around the
top flange. I vaguely recall some sort of RTV-like sealant on some of the
screws, but that might just be because you mentioned it now. In general,
RTVs don't work with gasoline, so I doubt it was doing much. When I
reassembled my tank, I didn't use any sort of sealant on the screws.
Instead I used this stuff:
and cut a new gasket in the shape of the flange. In principle there could
still be a little bit of leakage around the screws, but I haven't seen that
happen - I've had no problems with leakage (never did a pressure test, but
I keep that area clean and have never seen signs of gasoline residue).

If you want to use some sort of sealant, Dow #730 RTV is supposedly
gasoline resistant (though outrageously expensive), or you could try
Permatex 56521 thread-sealant, which claims gasoline resistance.


<a href=""> Ethan Brodsky </a>
Received on Monday, 20 February 2012

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0 : Tuesday, 29 July 2014 EDT