Re: [OMC-Boats] Historical Info on Ballast Resistors

From: jd <jdood@...>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 10:06:21 -0700

> Since the ballast resistor acts to limit electrical current to the
> primary side of the coil and thru the contact breaker points before
> returning to the battery via the common ground path, the life-cycle
> of all components in the chain is extended.

ok so then, without getting too techie, 12v comes from the ingnition
to the BR, then the BR drops it down to 9.5v and sends it to the
coil, then it:

A) during start up, gets boosted up to 20000v and sent to the spark
plugs

OR

B) stays at a less destructive 9.5v and gets sent to the points

Do I have that right?

> The Pertronix breaker-less EI products (Ignitor, Ignitor II, Ignitor
> III) can be combined with their various Flame Thrower Coils. see: http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/flame/coils/chart.aspx
>
> I've used the Ignitor II EI with an internally ballasted Petronix
> 45,000 volt coil for the past three-seasons, with excellent results.
> I have retained the original Mallory (marine-rated) distributor, but
> no longer have a need for the OE ballast resistor. The system
> retains a stock look, but provides modern HEI efficiency and long-
> term, hassle-free reliability,

Good to know - I may just ditch my BR and go the Pertronix coil
route. In fact, maybe today! I could care less about keeping
stock authenticity - I just want the dang thing to run hassle free.
So whereever I can upgrade components to better more hassle free
technology I am all for it.

Lee - can you tell me how you have your Pertronix EI and Coil
wired? Specifically, now that you've ditched your BR, what
exactly is going to the pos and neg terminals of the Pertronix coil?

thanks, Jeff