Re: [OMC-Boats] prop safety

From: jd <jdood@...>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 08:04:01 -0700

as the winning lawyer stated:

Alden said he sought to show jurors that manufacturers could make
boats and motors safer by installing guards on propellers and placing
a shield over the back. The concept for a device was created years
ago, he said, but the industry has resisted adopting it.

and this gem:
According to Monday's decision, Brunswick was 66 percent responsible
for the accident, and Brochtrup and the boat's driver each were 17
percent liable. The driver wasn't part of the suit and will pay no
damages.

So Mercury was a target to make an example out of in hopes of changing
an industry. And the driver wasn't even named in the suit. So
obviously the injured kid just couldn't in good conscious put any
blame on his buddy the driver....because afterall, it was an
accident right? Accidents happen, it wasn't the poor drivers
fault. And either the driver probably had insurance that already
paid him a bunch of money and he wanted more from somewhere, or
worse, the driver DIDN'T have insurance. Either way, it's all
about going after whomever has the deepest pockets, not whose at
fault. Ridiculous.