[OMC-Boats] Fuel pump for '67 Surfer

From: John Schmelzeis <northphx@...>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 18:02:44 -0700

Recently, my re-built carb choked on too much fuel when running full-tilt and I was not hitting Spec RPMs of 4K - 4.4K; maxxed out at 3.8K Since I didn't want to go back to a mechanical pump, I embarked on a journey to find an electric fuel pump that met or came very close to specs and the closest I could find was the NOS / Up to 200 HP 5/16 in. inlet/outlet 18 GPH at 4 PSI 12 Volts small displacement fuel pump from Autozone.com. It's only 3 GPH higher than the spec of 4 PSI/15 GPH specs for my Buick v-8 300 ci engine. Interestingly, it's a marketed as a high performance motorcycle category product. Installed it last weekend and I am now getting up to the Spec RPMs. Thought I'd share as looking to a High performance Motorcycle categorized fuel pump (albeit turns out to be a re-labeled Polish manufactured auto pump) was not an expected path to a solution.

Some Questions for the group

  a.. Has anyone used a Spacer with their Rochester 2bbl? Is it a common practice?
I am looking to a) reduce heat to carb and b) create more distance between throttle body/cable connecting area and manifold as I've had to double up some gasket material to keep from scraping the manifold when moving the throttle. Makes me wonder if a Phenolic Carb Spacer was standard....more likely my cable connection is non-spec.

  a.. What are folks opinions re: the use of "Performance spacers" like the one found at the following page: http://marine-performance-parts.com/search.aspx?find=PS109-P ? It claims, "
  huge airflow and power gains for those using a Rochester 2 barrel carburetor on Chevy / Mercruiser 2 barrel intake manifolds. " Ex. bad idea in Marine applications because of X...or great for increasing low end torque....etc

  a.. What about the use of Throttle Body Injection such as the following? http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/store.php?crn=209&rn=436&action=show_detail This is a stock GM ECM with a static mapping, so I wouldn't be able to tweak it, but the supplier claims they will be able to calibrate it to the specs of my engine.

Thoughts/comments desired and welcome as I could use some help as I think through my next step regarding whether to go with a standard spacer, performance spacer, or TBI (most expensive option by far and feels like it may be overkill).

Best,
John
'67 Surfer