Re: [OMC-Boats] Hull Identification - Serial Numbers?

From: jd <jdood@...>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 09:04:42 -0800

> The marine industry started requiring the MOLDED 12-DIGIT HIN aka
> the HULL Identification Number around 1972.

This is way off topic, but something i have been trying to find out
recently for a something i am working on. I guess the topic would
be "marine industry requirements". Specifically, who requires
things in boat design? In researching around it looks like the main
governing body seems to be the ABYC. HOWEVER, it seems that
although they have lots of "standards" that they lay out, I have
read that they are really only voluntary standards, not required by
law. So where might I go to find out what IS required by law in
boat design? Does a boat mfgr have to get the equivalent of a
"building permit" for a new boat design? For cars, it's
probably the National Transporation Safety Board. For airplanes it's
the FAA. Who is it for boats? The Coast Guard?