Re: [OMC-Boats] Wiring puzzle....

From: Lee Shuster <lks@...>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 20:20:52 -0600

Bill,

You are correct in that someone in the past tried to "graft" on older
intermediate and sterndrive into your post-1969 (late model) Evinrude.

You are going to need to use both the wiring diagrams I have posted to
solve or re-construct your wiring maze.

The new version went to the LARGE ROUND YELLOW AND BLACK harness
connectors and did not use the OLD separate terminal strip with
exposed positive and negative high current connections (a safety no-no).

Did the hack leave any parts of the LARGE round connectors on the boat
side? You might want to try and acquire a used post 1969 OMC engine
harness, just to get these Yellow and Black round connectors.
A picture of my 1971 retro fit shows them. I did have the boat harness
from my donor boat so I rewired my entire boat and a year later
installed a new dash.
You can see the two ROUND connectors at the rear of the starter motor.

http://hhscott.com/evinrude/images/SBC/large/DCP_0191.jpg

Old (pre 1969):
http://hhscott.com/evinrude/images/wiring/68_v6_ALL_WIRE.jpg

New (1969 and newer):
http://hhscott.com/evinrude/images/wiring/73_OMC_V8_all_big.jpg

On your alternator the small terminal is (F) for field and the large
terminal is the 8 ga (B) terminal OUTPUT that was later fused. My
Alternator is only externally grounded thru the case and mounting
points.

There are so many things wrong in your picture, that aren't your
fault, I know. But if it were mine I would just rip it all out and
start over. Here's what I spot wrong (I'm sure there could be more):

a) Never use wire nuts. They are prone to coming loose due to shock
and vibration, especially in marine applications. Learn how to use
the proper crimping tools and SEALED MARINE connectors to make safe,
reliable butt connections.
West Marine has good tech articles on this. Notice how the OMC
connectors are sealed, but all the "hacked" ones will allow moisture
in from the wire side collar? Eventually that wire will be exposed to
the elements and it will travel up inside the insulation where you
can't even see it.

b) All of the visible connectors and fasteners have visible corrosion/
oxidation and most likely have measurably high resistance. Yank those
crappy old tilt relays and get brand new ones and use stainless
fasteners. While you're at this winter yank the starter assist relay
(same as tilt relay) as well. I'll bet it's terminals are corroded as
well.

c) Go thru the entire engine area, one wiring subsystem at a time: a)
Stater and assist relay, b) Alternator and regulator, c) instrument
senders, d) Coil/ ballast resistor/Distributor, e) Battery supply and
all grounds, and of course our favorite, the tilt motor and it's relays.

d) Like I suggested above. Start searching for a 1970 to 1977 OMC
engine harness. I wouldn't even be picky about it coming from a Buick
V6 but that would be plug and play as far as fitment. But one could
fairly easily modify a I-4 or V-8 harness to extend or shorten the
lengths to reach various electrical components, but at least you have
those big round (SEALING) connectors.

Bill, I really admire you attitude. Hang in there, man. We've all had
the challenges of bringing back someone else's mistakes. It will make
next season on the more rewarding!

Lee