Re: [OMC-Boats] Wiring puzzle.... We have Liftoff!!

From: BLDFW <bldfw@...>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 15:44:09 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Lee,

The good news is that I now have charging!!  It's a satisfying feeling to finally see the voltage gauge now registering 13-14v depending on RPMs.  That's a relief!

I spent late yesterday researching and today rerunning the wires to their proper locations.  It wasn't really all that difficult.  If I had to guess, based upon looking at all the different wiring diagrams I browsed through to be sure I had the right one, the previous person must have been operating off of a later version diagram.  They seemed to have it down right for that.  I tend to think they never got to the point of running the engine long enough to determine it's foibles.

Fortunately they did not mess with the yellow connector but the black one is no longer present and the wires from the harness are probably only about 3" long.  Currently it has corn nuts making the connections.  I'll have to investigate a replacement.

The remaining challenge relates to my temp and oil pressure gauges. The temp gauge doesn't seem to be registering any temp.  It's a new gauge sending unit and when I disconnect it at the unit, I can see the gauge flicker but it doesn't want to come up off the lowest almost non temp setting.  The oil pressure gauge, on the other hand, pegs at 80lbs.  if the engine stalls, it drops to zero in an instant.  They both appear to be hooked up properly at the engine so I'll have to investigate my trusty wiring efforts behind the dash.  Likely something is not right there.

So the good news is, the problem is 3/4 solved!!  I'm sure glad of that.  Maybe I can still get her out before November!

Thanks for the good words from the group!

-Bill
Dallas, TX
1970 Evinrude Explorer - 155 Buick V6 - OMC Sterndrive
http://www.photobucket.com/evinrude_explorer