Re: [OMC-Boats] Radio questions...

From: BC Howk <bchowk@...>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 02:43:11 -0500 (CDT)

Justin,

I was an Electronics Tech in the Coast Guard for 10 years, so I know quite a bit about marine VHF AND LORAN...

As I explained earlier LORAN works in the 100 KHz range (HF) and the reciever is simply that (no transmitter), marine band radios are in the 157-162 MHz range (VHF) the TRANSCEIVER both recieves and transmits, so it is important that you have you antenna tuned properly (correct VSWR) or run the risk of burning up your transmitter....

If you are talking about trying to use a fiberglass HF antenna with your VHF radio...Sorry Dude, it just won't work. The LORAN antenna is just built to resonate in a different band of frequencies. Maybe some HAM guy out there has tried something like that with some sort of frequency coupling or home grown antenna rebuild, however I tend to think by the time you pulled something like that off you'd be better off to simply BUY the correct antenna in the first place. (unless you are really into antenna theory as a hobby)

If you are talking about reusing the MOUNT and installing a new inexpensive VHF antenna, that is a different story, please send pictures of what you have, or what you have already looked at and I'll try and point you in the right direction.

Cheers,
B.C.