Re: [OMC-Boats] Lets talk about anchoring...

From: ANDY PERAKES <aperakes@...>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 10:30:40 -0400 (EDT)

It definitely depends on the situation.  As I recall, you boat on a river so at least you know the current won't change much (if it did, I imagine you'd have bigger troubles than anchoring!), but you likely have to deal with large slopes near the sides.  A good analogy would be trying to anchor on an ocean shoreline:  With the tide coming in the boat swings towards shore, the bottom gradient in rising which helps the anchor dig in, and the aspect ratio is high even with a short amount of line out.  With the tide is going out and boat swings 180 degrees away from shore, the bottom gradient is now falling rapidly and suddenly you need a lot more line to maintain the same aspect ratio.  IOW, while that 7:1 might be fine with the tide moving in, it could be woefully inadequate with the tide going out.  Add in wind, waves, passing boats, other boats anchored nearby, etc. and it can get crazy in a hurry.  My biggest problem is the wake from passing boats -- everything is nice and calm one minute and the next the boat is thrashing and throwing huge loads into the anchor line.  Fortunately I've never reached the point of needing two anchors, but as i said, I generally check on the boat regularly (~every 10-15 minutes) due to sand being such an unreliable anchor media.  I also leave the drive and speed-o up so just in case it does wash into shore, its less likely to cause damage.

I decided I better winterize the engine before I dig into the drive so I'm putting the exploratory surgery off a few more weeks.  I hope to open it before the end of the month, but we'll see.  If I do get it repaired early, I can always re-winterize.