Re: [OMC-Boats] Stringer Tilt solution

From: Lee Shuster <lks@...>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 08:55:28 -0600

I've followed this thread with interest and think BC's observations
and comments hit the nail squarely on the head.

As a community we should welcome anyone with 30+ years experience
working on OMC sterndrives and hang in there until we see where this
project goes. Regardless of the nature of the original inquiry
I do confess to some degree of doubt but will eagerly await the
outcome. My take is the original OEM Prestolite ETK-4102 (still
available from BRP/OMC) is far superior to the Chinese knock offs and
worth the extra cost (far more than $100).
Given a little TLC and proper electro-mechanical maintenance, the OMC
power Tilt will provide years of use and protection and underwater
(forward) blows. It is a prone to mis-use and misunderstanding. Is
there a market for a patented modification? Maybe.

As I've studies in detail all the OMC Boat owners galley photos that
Phil has posted (and urge everyone to do the same) I think there are
only a couple of owners who have converted to 400-800 Series (78-85)
Stringers that featured Hydro-mechanical shifting. But these are also
called stringers and shared a very similar design philosophy with very
similar ball-gear and the "floating" intermediate housing and similar
upper gearcase designs as well as the electric word-gear tilt motor.

To Answer BC question, I breakdown the OMC Stringers into the
following groups:

A) 1962 -1968 Original small diameter, removable, "bullet " gear case
as used on V4 outboards and V4 I/O's 80, 88, 90 and a very few 110 hp
Chevy-4's

B) 1964 -1967-1/2 Large diameter, integral gear case, with aux oil
pump, original 14.25 dia props, and 4-bolt top cover.

C) 1967-1/2 - 1971-1/2 Large diameter, integral case, no aux oil
pump, will take 14.00 dia props, 5-bolt top cover

D) 1971-1/2 - 1974 Similar to above with minor changes to
intermediate housing

E) 1974 - 1977 Down-firing underwater exhaust introduced (last of the
electric shift stringers)

F) 1978 - 1985 400/800 Series with thru-prop exhaust, gear case design
adapted from outboards, featured Hydro-mechanical shifting)

So let's all be patient and see where this goes.

BTW, I didn't get much of a response on the Single-lever (Johnson/OMC
and OMC Binnacle-mount) shifter switch group buy? I may go ahead and
make the investment myself, but I'd like to know how much interest
there is? BRP's price is 0vcer $440 and I'm looking at under $200
each. Again, any interest from this group?

Lee