Re: [OMC-Boats] Speaking of Switches

From: BLDFW <bldfw@...>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 15:18:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Lee,

I have an HU-13E upper unit outdrive.  Who knows on the lower unit.  That makes it a '65 vintage drive.  The engine block ID suggests it's a '64 block but it could have been new but dated block whenever it was repowered.

I unscrewed the top and side covers to see what's there.  The push button slider appears to be in excellent condition and works fine when blocking switch usage during higher RPM's so no inadvertently popping it out of gear.  The buttons themselves are weathered and grey though there is a blush of original color.  Under the cover plate they are their original bright colors.  I can fix that with paint later.

As best I can tell without dismantling the shift setup which I'd rather not do (only cuz it's working just fine (except for the start safety issue))....but may have to....  I can see two whites, a blue and a green wire.  I can't see a purple but that could be due to the fact that I can't get all the way down there to see if there's another wire without removing the seat (but can).

An interesting note, I can see the connectors on underside of the push button switch component and can see wires connected to the forward and neutral switches (still can't see the purple) but under the reverse switch there are two empty connector tabs.  Now why would that be?  Reverse is working.

-Bill
Dallas, TX
1970 Evinrude Explorer - 155 Buick V6 - OMC Sterndrive
http://www.photobucket.com/evinrude_explorer

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----