[OMC-Boats] Evinrude Shifter Lockout

From: Lee Shuster <Lee.Shuster@...>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 16:32:33 -0600

I'll let someone else verify this, as I no longer own an Evinrude push-button -- But if memory serves, the mechanical lock-out prevents ANY gearshift button change, once the throttle is advance beyond "start-up" or about 1/8 or so forward.

So you cannot accidently select NEUTRAL (or REVERSE) when the lock-out slider is properly adjusted and you're just cruising or WOT down the lake. The E-Rude engineers also designed it fail safely. IE when the screw becomes loose, you can't shift at all. These always seems to happen after you are in neutral at the beginning or end of the day? Weird.

IMHO, the Evinrude setup is not intuitive, or necessarily particularly turn-key or "user-friendly." Remember it came about in 1961-62 when Chrysler was still using dash-mounted push-button shifters on their Torque-Flights. (Even conservative Ford, dabbled briefly with pushbuttons in the late fifties on some of their mid-range products). It is a distinguishing market feature of E-rudes and in hindsight it is a pretty cool retrospective on the way things were. And it has the additional benefit of being having a more robust and reliable physical switch design.

lee