Re: [OMC-Boats] Selecting the correct gauges

From: Lee Shuster <Lee.Shuster@...>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 16:21:40 -0600

Jeff.

This subject comes up often enough I need to write an "how-to" guide and post on the OMC website.

1) I like to start with the replacement of the Temp "SWITCH" type sensors. The Buick uses a different thread size on the temp switch than std Chevy engines. So during the off-season carefully remove the temp switch and get a temperature sender that is physically compatible. I can lookup the OMC part number tonight. I don't recommend trying to run both sensors, as you get into cumbersome plumbing using Tee's, but you wouldn't be the first to do it.

2) Next the same thing applies for the OIL pressure SWITCH replacement sender. Except the Gauge sender is physically must larger than the switch and her you will need to extend the plumbing with adapters.

3) Voltmeters are easy and can easily be used without giving up the ammeter. Best to run two large 12 ga wires (and install 2-amp inline fuse) all the way back to the battery, or just tuck the voltmeter away in the engine compartment.

Lastly you must also match the sender type characteristics to the instrument (VDO (Euro) , Stewart-Warner (USA), etc). Which generally isn't too difficult if you can talk to the instrument manufacturer.

See: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/132470/377%20710/0/engine%20instruments/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=engine%20instruments&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=engine%20instruments&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=6&subdeptNum=84&classNum=85

Popular marine suppliers are Beede, Farina, Teleflex, as well as several others. Pick out a style that you'll like looking at and fits the helm space you have in mind.

Before you install these in your boat you should at least calibrate the Voltmeter and Temp gauge against known good sources.

Good luck

lee